|作者：中国科学… 文章来源：本站原创 点击数： 更新时间：2009-6-28||
Direction: choose the word or expression below each sentence that best completes the statement, and mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your machine-scoring answer sheet.
16. Knowing that the cruel criminal has done a lot of unlawful things, I feel sure that I have no ________ but to report him to the local police.
A. time B. chance
C. authority D. alternative
17. Behind his large smiles and large cigars, his eyes often seemed to ________regret.
A. teem B. brim with
C. come with D. look with
18. There is only one difference between an old man and a young one: the young one has a glorious future before him and the old one has a ________future behind him.
A. splendid B. conspicuous
C. uproarious D. imminent
19. That tragedy distressed me so much that I used to keep indoors and go out only ________necessity.
A. within reach of B. for fear of
C. by means of D. in case of
20. A young man sees a sunset and unable to understand of express the emotion that it ________in him, concludes that it must be the gateway to a world that lies beyond.
A. reflects B. retains
C. rouses D. radiates
21. ________the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for another 8-10minutes or until most of the water has evaporated.
A. Turn off B. Turn over
C. Turn down D. Turn up
22. Banks shall be unable to ________,or claim relief against the first 15%of any loan or bankrupted debt left with them.
A. write off B. put aside
C. shrink from D. come over
23. I am to inform you, that you may, if you wish, attend the inquiry ,and at the inspectors discretion state your case ________or through an entrusted representative.
A. in person B. in depth
C. in secret D. in excess
24. In his view, though Hong Kong has no direct cultural identity, local art is thriving by “being ________,”being open to all kinds of art.
A. gratifying B. predominating
C. excelling D. accommodating
25. In some countries preschool education in nursery schools or kindergartens ________the 1stgrade.
A. leads B. precedes
C. forwards D. advances
26. Desert plants ________ two categories according to the way they deal with the problem of surviving drought.
A. break down B. fall into
C. differ in D. refer to
27. In the airport, I could hear nothing except the roar of aircraft engines which ________ all other sounds.
A. dwarfed B. diminished
C. drowned D. relative
28. Criticism without suggesting areas of improvement is not ________ and should be avoided if possible.
A. constructive B. productive
C. descriptive D. relative
29. The Committee pronounced four members expelled for failure to provide information in the ________ of investigations.
A. case B. chase
C. cause D. course
30. Since neither side was ready to ________ what was necessary for peace, hostility were resumed in 1980.
A. precede B. recede
C. concede D. intercede
31. Such an ________act of hostility can only lead to war.
A. overt B. episodic
C. ample D. ultimate
32. ________ both in working life and everyday living to different sets of values, and expectations places a severe strain on the individual.
A. Recreation B. Transaction
C. Disclosure D. Exposure
33. It would then be replaced by interim government, which would ________be replaced by a permanent government after four months.
A. in step B. in turn
C. in practice D. in haste
34. Haven’t I told you I don’t want you keeping ________ with those awful riding-about bicycle boys?
A. company B. acquaintance
C. friends D. place
35. Consumers deprived of the information and advice they needed were quite simply ________ every cheat in the marketplace.
A. at the mercy of B. in lieu of
C. by courtesy of D. for the price of
|| 网站地图 | 版权申明 | 设为首页 | 加入收藏 | 会员中心 | 取回密码 | 友情链接 | 用户留言 | 管理登录 ||