|作者：wanzini 文章来源：net 点击数 更新时间：2009-05-06 文章录入：admin 责任编辑：admin|
Direction: choose the word or expression below each sentence that best completes the statement, and mark the corresponding letter of your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your machine-scoring answer sheet.
16. Knowing that the cruel criminal has done a lot of unlawful things, I feel sure that I have no ________ but to report him to the local police.
A. time B. chance
C. authority D. alternative
17. Behind his large smiles and large cigars, his eyes often seemed to ________regret.
A. teem B. brim with
C. come with D. look with
18. There is only one difference between an old man and a young one: the young one has a glorious future before him and the old one has a ________future behind him.
A. splendid B. conspicuous
C. uproarious D. imminent
19. That tragedy distressed me so much that I used to keep indoors and go out only ________necessity.
A. within reach of B. for fear of
C. by means of D. in case of
20. A young man sees a sunset and unable to understand of express the emotion that it ________in him, concludes that it must be the gateway to a world that lies beyond.
A. reflects B. retains
C. rouses D. radiates
21. ________the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for another 8-10minutes or until most of the water has evaporated.
A. Turn off B. Turn over
C. Turn down D. Turn up
22. Banks shall be unable to ________,or claim relief against the first 15%of any loan or bankrupted debt left with them.
A. write off B. put aside
C. shrink from D. come over
23. I am to inform you ,that you may ,if you wish , attend the inquiry ,and at the inspectors discretion state your case ________or through an entrusted representative.
A. in person B. in depth
C. in secret D. in excess
24. In his view, though Hong Kong has no direct cultural identity, local art is thriving by “being ________,”being open to all kinds of art.
A. gratifying B. predominating
C. excelling D. accommodating
25. In some countries preschool education in nursery schools or kindergartens ________the 1stgrade.
A. leads B. precedes
C. forwards D. advances